Since we don’t watch TV with the boys very often, we constantly have our iPods plugged into various devices. They have playlists, but mostly they like to listen to our music. So as we made our way through our nation’s birthday, I made sure they heard some songs about freedom. Here are five of them:
- Freedom, by Rage Against the Machine
- Fight the Power, by Public Enemy
- Get Up, Stand Up, by Bob Marley and the Wailers
- Freedom, by Richie Havens (live at Woodstock)
- Freedom ’76, by Ween (this was just for fun)
The 4-year-old really liked Fight the Power, and I loved explaining why that was important. What’s weird is that I actually think he got it…kids are smart. Since I usually fly my “Don’t Tread on Me” flag the whole 4th of July week, I might as well keep on with the Freedom Playlist…I want my kids to know why this country is important, and why they should stand up against their oppressors when the time comes.